Saturday, January 4, 2020

Still catching up on 2019....Dad


Ooooooff, where do I start with this one…..I guess I’ll “start at the very beginning.” And try not to be too sappy (cause Dad would kill me!).

My dad is a pretty active guy because of the work he does on the farm. He’s shown me first hand the rewards of a strong work ethic, and is a pretty special guy to so many people. Well, we all know you can’t keep him down for long unless something is incredibly wrong. In mid-August he finally requested a doctor’s appointment and was diagnosed with pneumonia. He was given instructions to lie low and take it easy even with meds — but it was haying season. I think you can imagine just how well he stayed put!

Somewhere along the line the pneumonia got worse rather than better and Dad finally went back to the doctor. After a stay at KVH and then a transfer to Yakima Memorial, he was diagnosed with congestive heart failure. His heart was working at a level of 15-20% rather than the “normal” 52-70%. Let’s stop here for a minute to acknowledge that I knew we would face this diagnosis one day (thank you family history), but in no way did I expect to hear it before he was 60. Our family’s world was shaken completely as doctors tried to figure out how this happened — “you’re healthy and active, we don’t understand” came up many times. He was, and remains, a mystery to the doctors.

It was finally determined, at least in theory, that the pneumonia had complicated itself enough to cause a massive lung infection which then attacked the heart after the lung function began decreasing. Because of trying to stabilize his heart the doctors couldn’t do all the tests they would have preferred, so they went with a “shotgun” approach (Dad’s definition of course 😅) to start working on the infection. I won’t lie and tell you that the initial diagnosis had a pretty outlook, because it didn’t. It took quite a few days of him getting stronger and the meds to work before we thought he would begin to be out of the woods, but that life would still be drastically changing. 

Well, remember I used the word “thought” about those woods? Yeah…..Dad was released from Yakima on a Thursday, but the next Monday night he was in the local ER and they were sending him to Virginia Mason in Seattle. I got really good at finding VM that week as he was there until the following Sunday. This time he had a giant blood clot that was cutting off important functions. They admitted him, got him stable, moved him from CICU to one level of care down, and continued their treatment. The doctors later believed the clot was caused by a damaged blood vessel in the pelvic area (residual from a previous injury). He was taken off blood thinners and after he was stable for a couple of days they gradually began putting him back on a different blood thinner. So far, three months later, he’s doing well on that blood thinner!

So, after we got him home that weekend he had spent a total of 15 days in three different hospitals. At home we somehow managed to survive putting up hay and fair duties. Dad is now on a low salt diet that he’s not a fan of but Mom is figuring out some nifty tricks. He wasn’t allowed to drink alcohol for a while and I think he may have cried when he was coherent enough to figure that out, but it’s okay, he was given the go ahead for a drink once in a while so he’s good now 😉

Dad just had his three month check in with his cardiologist this week and it’s good news! The tests run in November and early December show his heart function at a40-45% function — this is double what it was in September. The doctor was impressed and said to keep doing what he’s doing, but not to overdo. Our favorite reminders for Dad now is that he’s not 20 anymore and that he tried to die on us twice! 

Through all of this we had an outpouring of love from our family and friends. I can’t thank everyone who stepped up to help Ethan in the fields and me at fair(s) enough. Just before this all happened, Dad had been playing softball with me, so the team frequently checked in, and they don’t know how sane they kept me — thank you. To everyone else who checked in and offered to help, thank you. I hope we can return the favor if it’s ever necessary. 

No comments:

Post a Comment