Thursday, January 9, 2020

2019 in Review.....finally!


Where do I start with 2019?!? I guess I’ll go a bit chronologically with some big things that happened in 2019.

Just after school started back up in January 2019, I was gifted with the surprise of being awarded Exempt Employee of the Month. We were in a faculty meeting and I could see that Deanna, a coworker, had come into our room. Little did I realize she had a crew of people with her to present an award to me -- I was so embarrassed! Luckily there weren’t many students around when the balloons and hoopla arrived. Then in June I was presented with the School of Ed’s Top Ten staff award. This is something that the students nominate staff for, and it sounded like I was nominated several times. Somehow the students found out about nominations, and we never did so all of the student awards were for elementary major students. I am honored to have been chosen out of everyone for both of these awards!

February brought a return to the  KYG Conference in Olympia! Three of us took seven youth over last year, and while over there we teamed up with Yakima County’s chaperone and two youth (others ended up sick and couldn’t go). It was a wonderful time, and we are so blessed to have a great group of kids. We’ve already begun meetings for the 2020 conference, and I’m looking forward to seeing what the kids come up with.



I had the distinct pleasure of working with three local third graders last year who needed some challenges when it came to math. All three were in the gifted program at the elementary school, so they kept me on my toes! I loved getting to work with them though, and they challenged me in the best way. My favorite day was when we made geometric bubbles and they concluded that no matter what 3D shape their bubble wand was, the bubbles would always be round. These whippersnappers even described WHY the bubbles would be round. #toosmartfortheirowngood



Weddings, weddings, weddings! I didn’t attend as many weddings in 2019 as I did in 2018 (unless you count the ones I photographed), but I attended two within two weeks in May, and then my cousin got married in September. All three of the weddings were beautiful in their own ways, as they should be. You can read about the two in May here.



In June we said “congrats” and “so long” to our graduating students. It was incredibly bittersweet, but SO exciting as they continued to let us know where they were teaching throughout the summer. I was able to feature most of them in a series I called “Teacher Tuesday Introductions” on our TeachSTEM social media (we’re on Facebook and Instagram if you want to follow). Read about the end of the school year some here. 


We made three trips with two carts to get all of our induction materials from the mail room!

Concerts, concerts, and more concerts! 2019 was the year of attending concerts for me, and the majority of them were for 1980s and 1990s country music artists. Thankfully one of my best friends, Katie, also enjoys these same artists, so she was my concert buddy for the year. Are you ready for this incredible list?? Here it is: 
  • Pam Tillis and Lorrie Morgan (amazing!); 
  • Wynonna Judd (fantastic); 
  • Martina McBride (bucket list for this 90s girl!); 
  • Tracy Lawrence (fun for the 4th of July); 
  • Nitty Gritty Dirt Band (featured at the Clark County Fair);
  • Randy Houser (featured at the Clark County Fair); 
  • Tracy Byrd (see further down about this trip); 
  • and wrapped up the year with Scotty McCreery (also bucket list!). 
They were all amazing concerts, and I had a blast at each one of them!


Nitty Gritty Dirt Band




Okay, we’re down to the last few big things…..

I decided in the spring last year to schedule myself a week at the beach, I didn’t really care how much it cost, I just needed to spend some time at the beach. Did you know in the two years that I lived just two hours from the beach I only spent ONE DAY there?!? Yes, one stinking day in two years. Aside from that one day, I hadn’t spent any significant time at the beach for a number of years. So, I looked at my calendar, got in touch with my friends in the Vancouver area, and made a plan! I’ve made another post about my trip in detail, here. 



We hosted a family reunion at the farm in July. There were over 40 of our family members here, including some from the East Coast! We had a ton of fun, and it was great to see everyone. I loved being able to show my youngest cousins what the farm is like, and to listen to my great-uncle’s share their stories. Read all about it here. 



In November of 2018 my 4-H leadership youth asked to host the 2019 Eastern WA Teen Rally. I of course, silly me, said yes. Thus, we began planning and fundraising….it was a long haul and a huge undertaking, but we did it! We had youth from all over Washington attend, and ended up with only three or five empty beds (I can’t remember exactly, that weekend is a blur!). It was a great success, and the kids really stepped up to make it happen. My co-leaders helped me stay sane too!


Leadership Team


My last big trip for 2019 was to Florida! My cousin Kristin and her husband Bob live in the Orlando area, and had suggested a girls cousin trip to Universal to see Harry Potter World and experience the new Hagrid ride for sometime in October. With teaching a class during Fall Quarter, it didn’t work for me, or for Steph and Em either. However, I suggested we go during December when Em and I would be on break, and I thought Steph might be able to get away from work (she used all her time hunting, no surprise!). Well, Steph and Em couldn’t join us, but I decided to make the trip and visit anyways! You can read alllllllll the details here. 




And work….I touched a little bit on graduating our first batch of students, who I miss having stop by my office like crazy. But, we’ve got our next group of seniors who just started their last quarter on campus (for most of them anyways, a handful have spring classes and are student teaching in the fall). These kids, oh man! They love to stop by to chat, but the first few days of the quarter are all about fixing schedules, time conflicts, and settling into a new routine. However, work is great! I still absolutely LOVE my job and all the “spice” it brings to my life. I started my fourth year in November, and I can’t wait to see what happens as our program continues to grow!


First day of school!

2019 was a great year….well, for the most part (I blame Dad). Looking at the big picture it was great! Here’s to 2020 though, and hoping it’s a smoother ride for everyone :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment