I forgot how much adventure there is on the farm when you have kids around! My two youngest cousins, Ben and Ellie, who traveled from the Virginia enjoyed spending time with my dad changing water, and we walked around visiting with the horses and animals in the barnyard. The kids and their parents stayed in the old farm house on what would end up being one of the warmest few days in a couple week span....they commented on feeling the fresh air come in the window of their bedroom whenever there was a breeze. It's something I take completely for granted (and curse it at the same time!).
One of my favorite things to do with Grandpa Ben was to get him started in telling stories about "how it used to be." It was amazing in previous years with all five brothers together, listening to their stories. I didn't realize then just how much I would treasure those times. One of my very favorite memories is from 6-7 summers ago when three sets of great aunts and uncles sat around the dining room table describing photos, laughing, and telling stories. I regretted not recording Grandpa in the last couple of years before he passed, and even more so when everyone sat around the table.
Well, there are only two brothers left now, but the stories still came pouring out and it was an absolutely amazing experience just listening to them. Between several of us cousins, we continued asking questions and could have easily spent several more hours engrossed in the stories being told. THIS time I did record them, putting my phone with the recorder going in front of anyone who was speaking.
I learned SO MUCH from having my two great-uncles here for a couple of days this summer. They shared an incredible number of stories about the farm and growing up in the house I now live in. Uncle Will walked through the first floor of the house with me explaining where things were when he was young. It was so different then compared to now! Then both he and Uncle Keith walked out to the barn and explained what it looked like years ago -- the animals they had, chores, and what it was like transitioning from horses to tractors.
I am incredibly grateful for the time spent with my extended George family this summer. I fear it may be the last time that we'll have both of my great uncles together at the farm, but am so thankful that we had the chance to have everyone together.
No comments:
Post a Comment