Friday, May 18, 2012

That last between week

    This week is going to need two posts because tomorrow we're going to the Preakness race, and pictures from that are going to need their own post...
     This week began with our PA fun day. We opted to go to a murder mystery dinner theater, but because we went on Mother's Day the performance was a matinee. It was an interesting set up because there was no stage whatsoever, and the actors just wove in between chairs and tables where we were sitting. Then, at least one scene in each act was interactive, so in the first of these interactive scenes the actors randomly approached our table and conversed with us, all in character. The second was the audience's chance to ask questions of the actors in attempt to pin down the murderer. Then we got to vote. Throughout the entire performance there were a few audience members who were really into this play and voiced their opinion whenever they wanted, which was funny because at one point it totally messed up the actor and he made something up because he couldn't remember his lines. At any rate, it was an awesome time for the four of us to sit around a table with our two bosses and talk, and then laugh with each other. We followed this by an adventure to Columbia Heights to get vegan cupcakes. Yes, I know, I'm not the vegan kind of person, and I could tell there were things substituted, but it was still pretty good.
All six of us: me, Megan, bosses Kirby and Maria, Kassey, and Amber

Us four: Amber, me, Megan and Kassey

Our vegan desserts, mine's the oreo one of course :)

     Monday I went to the office for a few hours in the morning, and then packed my duffel bag for a trip to visit Uncle Keith and Aunt Bobbie. I metroed out to the end of the orange line in Vienna, where Uncle Keith met me. We went back to the house and relaxed, then had dinner and chatted. It was a nice change of pace for me, and a much needed dose of home. Tuesday we drove two hours southwest to a booksale. This place is a warehouse where they have a sale every month or so for a couple of weeks at a time. I kid you not, I was having the hardest time not picking books up. I did find some scores though, including science books to study (more in a minute!), books for some of my teacher friends who are graduating with me, and books to send Ethan for graduation that are absolutely perfect! Wednesday was more relaxing until Aunt Bobbie drove me to a bus stop nearby for me to metro back in time for a meeting for my next group. All in all it was a good little vacation that got me away from the city and into the country a little, even with a dose of good ole' WSU :)

I just love the clouds in this one...

A barn!!

Gas is a whole dollar cheaper wherever we were than at home in Washington State. 

Look closely and you'll see the WSU sticker in the top left hand corner of this car's window!! So excited, this is the second one I've seen but only one I've had a chance to take a picture of. 

     Wednesday consisted of a meeting for our next group, mine, Kassey's and Amber's. It's the largest WOW group and we're still trying to figure out how to get 136 Holocaust tickets when they only give 20 per person in line....yeah, we're working on that. Then I did some oddball things in the office, including finishing writing how the WOW program meets state standards. I finally finished that project on Thursday, which is incredibly exciting. I would not be bothered if I never had to see another state standard, but I know that isn't possible as a teacher. I then did more oddball projects for Maria, helping her to get caught up and a little bit ahead for the CWF season, which starts in just a few weeks. I am hoping to bring a Kittitas County delegation to CWF next year, so if you're a 4-Her from home reading this, be aware of a fun trip that may be happening next summer!
     Today neither Amber nor I needed to work because we had enough hours in, so we went on an adventure. Our original intent was to visit the zoo for a penny, then Dupont for some jumbo pizza, Geographic Explorer's Hall, St. Matthew's Cathedral, and then the National Cathedral for another penny. Plans changed when going to the Post Office to mail stuff took longer than expected and Kassey called wanting to meet up for lunch. So we went straight to Dupont, found a jumbo New York style pizza place and had some awesome pizza. We had yet to get frozen yogurt in DC, and Kassey had a hankering, so we found some fro yo to follow our pizza, it was a good choice. From there Amber and I went to Explorer's Hall while Kassey came back to the 4-H Center -- she just finished a group this morning and happened to catch us for lunch, so she came back to tie up loose ends. We found Explorer's Hall right off the metro at Farragut North, but unfortunately it costs $8 to get in, unless you just go to the free exhibit which is just photos. Our mission was for a penny here, but that didn't happen because it's in the gift shop...inside the main exhibit you have to pay to get into. It's alright, our trip to St. Matthew's Cathedral made up for it. I would say this cathedral is more beautiful than the National Cathedral. The artwork is amazing! Then we hitchhiked our way to the National Cathedral via bus, snuck in so I could get a couple of pennies, and then found our way back to Friendship Heights. Because tomorrow is Preakness we also stopped and got food so we don't have to pay ridiculous amounts at the race track. Can't wait!! Mostly because I know Ethan is incredibly jealous ;) Pics tomorrow, for now here are pics from today.

Giant pizza slices from Flippin' Pizza. 

Our frozen yogurt from Yogi Castle...nummy!!

St. Matthew's Cathedral, where JFK's services were held. 

Inside St. Matthew's Cathedral. 

My Georgetown Cupcake, that I now can't find :(

National Cathedral with the gorgeous blue sky, almost looks fake. 

And, just a little bit of the photographer came out of me when I laid back and found sky peaking through the trees at me :)

     Before I leave you! I got a call from Othello Middle School to schedule an interview with me. I'm excited! It's a math/science position, so I'll need some practice with the science should they hire me, but it's only an hour and a half away from home, making it easy for me to come home for 4-H stuff :) The interview will be sometime next week on Thursday or Friday, specific time yet to be determined. In other exciting news, only 14 days til home! On Sunday Maria asked me what was the first order of business when I got home since I am the only one who hasn't had a true dose of home, and of course first order of business is to watch cousin Steph graduate from high school as valedictorian and celebrate with her, then second order is to visit with my 4-H family and catch up on everyone!! Third order of business is to go to the Palace and eat me a burger dip, because I swear they don't make french dips on this side of the country and it's driving me insane!
     Catch ya on the flip side tomorrow with pics from Preakness!

No comments:

Post a Comment