Monday, January 27, 2014

Over due....

     Well, this post is a couple weeks over due....let's recap a bit.
      Over the three-day weekend I had CF training for 4-H KYG. We had a great time getting to know everyone on the team, and got some work done too! It's a full team of girls again this year, and while I was skeptical last year, it all worked out and it will this year too! Our conference theme this year is "Lobbying for Justice," where delegates are taking bills from the 2013 legislative session that didn't pass off the floor, but didn't yet die, and are making some amendments to the bills to make them new and improved. So far our county group has a bill in each category (education, transportation, judicial and children and family services), and the kids have made amendments or even written their own bills. It's been an interesting process as we move through this topic for the second time as coordinators, but our group is so much different this time than the last that it makes a huge difference in the progression of work. In the end I think things will turn out fine, but I'm worried about their testimony right now....
     Monday without school was spent getting ready to head out early for Prosser, and then I managed to make it back to Prosser fairly early, but didn't get anything else accomplished for school. This last weekend was much of the same, trying to cut things off my to do list and then KYG Sunday afternoon. I got a few things off my to do list, but many of them I have to do at school. I didn't stay long today because of the first basketball game this afternoon, and the girls expected me to show up with my camera for my winter sports poster. In a couple of weeks it'll be wrestling (definitely my least favorite of the sports, and hard to get decent pictures!) and basketball every other day.
     I called all three of the legislator offices today to confirm our KYG dinner time and appointment times. It honestly makes my January each year when I call and introduce myself, and at least one of the assistants know exactly who I am. In this year's case, Kyle from Representative Warnick's office could tell me exactly why I wasn't at the 2012 conference and consequently the group's appointment. He then confirmed the dinner time, and we ended our conversation with him commenting on how much he misses seeing my grandpa around. While I don't remember Grandpa making many trips to Olympia, I know he did and was incredibly involved in our state agricultural politics. I was too young to be truly thankful for everything my grandpa did for me and my family, but I know his legacy will live forever.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment