Thursday, June 21, 2012

Unofficially Officially a 7th/8th grade Math Teacher!!

     As much as there is almost a bitter taste in my mouth when I say this, I am unofficially officially a Prosser Mustangs Housel Middle School math teacher!!! Ellensburg and Prosser are incredibly huge enemies as far as sports go, so that's where the bitter taste comes in to play. Nonetheless, my 30 job applications paid off, and I am now unofficially officially a teacher :) Unofficially officially means that they offered me the position and as soon as I pass my reference checks they send their recommendation to the superintendent, and he has to sign off saying that it's okay to hire me! Should happen sometime next week....now here's the story of how it happened...
     Last Friday I got the call for an interview in Connell, scheduled for Wednesday morning. Well, on my way out the door Wednesday morning to Connell, Prosser calls and says I have an interview 9 am Thursday. Okay, no big deal. I go to Connell, feel good about it, and go through the Tri-Cities so that I can find the Prosser school. As my aunt and I are shopping I get a phone call from Grandview to interview at 9:30 am Thursday. Because I'm not sure how long Prosser will take, I push Grandview back to 10:30, just to give me some time. Today I drove to Prosser and interviewed there. It went great! I had a great time, felt comfortable, and the staff who was on the interview panel seemed great. I'm not entirely sure what it was about me, or what I said or did, but I hadn't even pulled out onto the highway to head to the freeway back to Grandview and I received a call offering me a position. My head was in the clouds already, but I assumed it was from Wednesday's interview, not the one I left not even ten minutes before! Not making the connection I asked for time to think and went on to my Grandview interview at my mom's suggestion. I finished with that and called back about the position offer. When she began talking about moving positions around as far as 7th and 8th grade classes, I began to see the real picture and asked for clarification, and then more time. At this point everything started to make sense, and I couldn't believe that within ten minutes of leaving the interview they had decided to offer me the position. I made a call to Connell, found out I was not in their top candidate pool, and immediately called Prosser back to accept. (Confused yet?? Let me tell you, my head was absolutely spinning!) I had to leave a message, but made contact later after getting back to Ellensburg and am good to go as soon as they talk to my cooperating teacher from Student Teaching who is my second reference. They had already talked to my field supervisor, and everything was good there. Now we'll just have to wait until the superintendent gets back from vacation and approves hiring me!
      I know my family is excited to have me fairly close...Aunt Robin is planning apartment hunting. Mom went to Costco today and since I called about the position offer before 10 she picked up dishes and pans of all sorts to add to my collection from Christmas. Ethan's telling me I need to live with a friend's house, and Dad's just plain trying to get rid of me as soon as possible, like normal. This summer I had planned to take a math class online to help jumpstart my possible high school math certification process, but since that is no longer necessary I'm withdrawing from it, removing TONS of stress, which will be a tremendous help. That just leaves me with work each day, class twice a week, and lots of 4-H adventures among lots of apartment hunting, packing and arranging. Should make for a fun summer!!

1 comment: