Saturday, January 14, 2023

2022 in Review, Part 2

 2022 Review, Part 2! This time learn all about my trips :) If you missed Part 1, start there. Or go back further for my 2022 Book Review. 

PS, don't mind the formatting, something got alllllllll messed up.....

TRIPS

Denver Stock Show— Last year I agreed to be the “adulty adult” for the Washington State 4-H Livestock judging team

attending nationals. This required me to travel to Denver, CO for the stock show. I was mostly just

tagging along because Lexie, my partner in crime, is who invested time and energy in working with

the kids. My role really was just to be the person over 25 to rent a car and make sure logistics were

taken care of. Lex and I joke about how I’m the planner in our duo 😅 I just need a rough outline, I’m

okay without a minute by minute (but I blame conference facilitating for loving a good minute by minute

schedule!). We survived even with delayed planes, massive snowstorms at home, late night drives,

and getting lost several times. Lexie did her thing and rocked it, as did our kids. I just took pictures

and chaperoned the parents so they let the team do their thing.


Denver Stockyards


Girls weekend in Oak Harbor – I was invited to a 4-H kiddo’s wedding (how am I this old?!)

that was in the Oak Harbor area so I rented an Air BnB for the weekend. I invited Mom to join

me because the house was big enough, and well, our party grew from there to include each of

our best friends. It was fun as we traveled over, around, and back for the weekend. We just

explored the area, found some cute shops (hello bookstore!), and of course wineries for the

other three because they had their favorite DD (me!). I attended the wedding ceremony but

because there was so much time between the ceremony and reception at two locations, I

ditched the reception (sorry Jer!) to go back to the house and just hang out. Katie and I chatted

well into midnight that night after Mom and Lauri went to bed. I think we’re going to make it an

annual thing now because Mom and I (and Kim!) have May birthdays and Katie and Lauri

have half birthdays in May – the timing is perfect 😊



Washington, DC – Well, I made it back to my favorite home away from home courtesy of my 4-H kids…..

Citizenship Washington Focus (CWF) is a 4-H conference held in the summer time and I’ve chaperoned

there once before with a small group. A few years ago one of my kids asked about attending because

it would allow her to see DC in an educational way. So of course, I said yeah, let’s do it. We were

supposed to go in 2021 but it was virtual that year so we waited, and when I knew it was going to

be in person in 2022 I quickly sprung into action to get a group of five youth together to go – three

from Kittitas County, one from Skamania County, and one from Clark County (I worked for 4-H in

both Clark and Skamania so there is a connection).


We met monthly before going. I worked with the state office to get funding. And then the day finally

came to leave at which point I had four of the five kids with me in the car by 4am on our way to SeaTac.

We had a relatively uneventful day of travel and our trip continued from there. The kids learned about

the subway, visited some staples (Arlington, American History), some hidden gems (Old Post Office

Tower!), and had some surprising favorites (National Cathedral and the Holocaust (sounds weird but

it’s totally true and I understand why)).


It wasn’t completely a site seeing trip as we went to attend the Citizenship Washington Focus

conference, so we partook in those activities too. Together with youth from across the country they

developed plans to make the world a better place in more than one way. They started the conference

shy and unsure but left confident and with new friends. The kids were exhausted when we came

home, but I know that they took this experience to heart because of our discussions and the reflections

in their record books.


I, of course, loved introducing one of my favorite cities to these kids. We walked our butts off, did

some new things I hadn’t done before (4th of July fireworks!), and explored on scooters.

This is a trip I will always remember fondly.


First airport selfie (when we landed in DC); National Portrait Gallery visit that the kids picked out

American History Museum -- the kids made it their mission to take pictures with statues all over the city. 

Scooter selfie in Alexandria after our visit to Mt. Vernon (we had permission to be late to the first day of the conference; it pays to know people!).

My original favorite metro stop, we passed it every time we went home on the metro; our last airport selfie when we made it back to Seattle.


Hawaii! – A new place for my “have traveled to” list! Friends from Vancouver were making a visit

and their daughter is a senior this year. Well, when they asked if I would go to Hawaii with them

and take senior and family photos in Hawaii I said YES without hesitation. Mind you, I had

eight days between returning from DC and leaving for Portland to fly out….in the busiest month

of the year no less. So, I did what I needed to for work that week, laundry, and repacked for

sandy beaches. I did no homework on where we would be which turns out to be mostly volcanic

rock along the water. It was still beautiful though and I would love to return to do more exploring.

Thank you, Andersons for a fun adventure!


Portland carpet photo, because......it's the Portland airport!

Landing in Kona, and a "hidden" sandy beach we found. I did a little exploring to get photos, of course.

Sunset at a little spot not too far from where we stayed. 

Cactus of some sort we found at an arboretum when taking photos.



AND, because I remembered, here are the last of 2021's adventures too, briefly :)


North Carolina - One of my 4-H friends, Christy, stayed in North Carolina after a Teach for America

placement and it had been a couple of years since seeing each other. So, almost on a whim,

I made a trip to see her! While there, we of course had some adventures including seeing the

Biltmore Estate. Can you say Downton Abbey vibes?!? It was totally worth the drive to visit there.

Christy's brother Jeremy (the same one who got married in May) knows of my love for Hallmark and

was stationed close by so insisted that Christy take me to visit a town that was indeed very

Hallmark-esque. Thanks for insisting Jer! And thanks to Christy for hosting my stay. I can't wait to come

visit again for more southern adventures.


Montana - Cousin Steph and her husband Tyler welcomed their first child into the world in April 2021 so

Mom and I made a visit to Montana to meet Justine 😀 We made good travel time both there and back,

and had such a lovely time visiting and soaking in some baby snuggles. Justine is now almost two and

welcomed a baby brother into the world just this week!



No comments:

Post a Comment