A picture’s worth a thousand words/But you can’t see what those shades of gray keep covered/That’s the story of my life/Right there in black and white/You should have seen it in color
Tuesday, March 24, 2020
Happy Ag Day!
"Today on #NationalAgDay we want to acknowledge all the hard working agriculturists! We also want to send a shout out to the medical personnel making decisions and taking care of everyone affected by COVID-19. Thank you to all of those deemed essential - we can't do this life we love called farming without your sacrifices."
I shared the text and photo above on our Facebook page today...and there's a story that goes with it, of course!
It was a bit chilly this morning with the breeze, and I was about to head up to the fields to grab a photo really quick when Mom suggested I take my car instead of the Kubota so I didn't freeze. Okay, I can work with that (and thanks Mom for watching out for me). I'm not even up to the first corner of the field roads and my phone is ringing through the blue tooth in the car....it's Dad.
"What are you doing?"
"Coming to see you!"
"Oh, what for?"
"For a picture. Cause it's National Ag Day."
"Oh, okay. See you soon."
I parked out of the way and then grabbed my camera to get some shots of Dad rolling so we could be punny with a post. Something along the lines of "We're just gonna keep on rolling. Nothing new to see here." Obviously we went in a different direction.....
So, I'm out of the car and working my way toward where Dad would soon end up with his next swipe. In the meantime, Dad stops, whistles at Fred, and then Fred works my direction not realizing who I am at first. I called out to him and then he came racing at me for some loves. I managed to send him snarfing and got some photos.
I chatted with Dad, and then before I could get in my car far enough to leave (literally, it was running and I was about to shut the door), Dad called out to me to pick up some twine in the field. Like any AMAZING daughter would, I went and picked up the twine. Then he proceeded to tell me that I could ride through the fields this week on garbage patrol if I wanted to get out of the house at all -- sound like junior high spring break anyone? Yeah, only then I didn't have a choice!
Anywhere from 10-15 years ago I HATED (I mean, with so much passion you wouldn't believe) being up in the fields for spring break - rock picking, garbage picking, gate replacing, you name it. That spring when I was in DC changed my perspective entirely though because I didn't get to hang out with the calves or baby goats. I didn't get to watch the fields transition from brown to green. I didn't get to watch the hay grow taller and taller by the week. I didn't get to help move wheel lines. I didn't get to do a lot of things that I'd always taken for granted, or didn't really care about.
So now? Now I help when I can, even if I don't like the job. And yes, I grumble and complain, but I know that every extra pair of hands makes the operation as a whole go that much smoother. As we look ahead to what the spring and summer are going to be like, I see myself being in the fields more than usual.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment