Well, it was a pretty laid back weekend for me with the most excitement happening on Saturday evening. I went to a hot dog and smores feast at a coworkers family's house, and then to a concert in support of a friend who played. Overall it was a fun night!
Every time there's a holiday surrounding soldiers, so two really -- Memorial and Veteran's Day, I go back to my experience in DC as a tour guide. Watching wild and crazy middle school students become absolutely quiet in Arlington is 1) an amazing feat but 2) so humbling as they take the time to realize just how many people have died for us. Often times they would ask questions, or take longer than the time we had allotted because the tram doesn't wait for anyone resulting in an identification scramble.
It was the time I took a group to the Tomb of the Unknowns that really got me. We were making our way to the Tomb, and the path isn't horribly wide. Veterans began passing us, and a teacher at the front had the kids stop so the veterans could pass our group more easily. All of a sudden one boy stuck out his hand and quietly said "Thank you." It was he who began a long line of handshaking, something none of my other groups had done. I can't tell you the boy's name, or even what group he was with, but I can tell you his thoughtful actions which created such a powerful feeling inside of me. It's something I'll never forget, and I bet those veterans won't either.
Such special memories from our time there in DC. It was fun to think back over the evening I spent with others for the Memorial Day concert on the Hill. :)
ReplyDeleteYes! The concert was fun too! Once in a lifetime experience for certain!
ReplyDelete