Well, February thus far has been a complete blur....but the most memorable part of any February is the weekend of Know Your Government. This year was particularly memorable for various aspects and events that happened, but I'd have to say that every year it's the Conference Facilitators and Collegiates who make the conference come to life.
The nine kids who were part of this year's youth leadership team were INCREDIBLE!! When we asked them to put 100% in on top of the 150% they already were contributing, they asked no questions. When someone needed help, someone else stepped up. When things weren't going quite the way they were suppose to, these dedicated kids worked together to problem solve.
Ending my eleventh year was one of the hardest sets of goodbyes I think I've had.....while I won't work with the majority of our youth team again, there are the few that I will. There are others though who I've worked with two or even three years in a row, and those are the hardest ones to say bye to, just because we don't know when we'll see each other next. This year was one of the most emotional debriefs we've had in a few years, and I can only imagine because it's how close our group became. The relationships these kids develop in 1) a short 40ish hour period during January, and then 2) continue to foster during the five days we're at KYG is nothing short of amazing.
For many years now, people have been asking why I continue with my position in working with the Collegiates and CFs. There's no simple way to answer, so I generally say "Because!" or "Why not?!?" It is difficult to explain to someone on the "outside" of what we spend our weekends doing, because, well, it just is! One of the kids sent this quote the day following the conference, after they were home taking exams and I was sick in bed....
What these kids don't realize is just how incredibly true everything Teddy Roosevelt states in this quote is! Even if they were to struggle, there was someone to back them up, and without that struggle they would know neither victory or defeat (which they were victorious, of course). I am so thankful that these nine kids found KYG a worthy cause to devote not just two weekends to, but countless hours in between to make sure certain pieces would come together.
And my fellow Core Committee members. I can't thank you enough for helping walk through this weekend yet again. It was different this time in a way I can't explain, but we, just as the kids did, helped cover for each other wherever we needed to. I'm so glad I have each of you to make this journey with each year!
In short (ha!) thank you is not enough to show my gratitude for what the Collegiates and CFs did this weekend. It isn't enough to thank my own adult team members on the Core Committee. It isn't enough to thank you for becoming (or remaining) a member of my 4-H family.
PS - Next year marks twelve years and the third cycle through the topics, be prepared for a sappier note than this one! Yes, I realize it's a whole year away, but 358 days will fly right by ;)

No comments:
Post a Comment