Sunday, January 11, 2015

How Time Flies!

      It's absolutely amazing how quickly the days pass. It feels like just last week we were celebrating New Years, and I was taking the Graduate Record Exam (really, the GRE was just last week, but that's besides the point). Just last week I was SO excited about watching the new Downton Abbey, and getting ready for a new leaders training we had yesterday.
     I guess it's really been just over a week since I last posted, and it hasn't been super eventful. The Clark KYG kids had a great discussion about what topic they wanted to use for their article and KYG "campaign"and I'm glad they chose the topic they did versus the alternative. They've already done one interview, and I'm sure will be working on more this next week, along with finding pictures. This group of kids is dynamic, so I have no doubt they will be successful in their work!
     I watched part of the Golden Globes tonight, basically for the best picture awards at the end, but it was great to see some other winners too. I missed one of the actresses from Downton getting her supporting actress award, but that's okay cause I already found her acceptance speech online. She did a great job. I love getting to see the actresses all dressed up, some of the really do miss the mark with their dresses though, ugh.
     My usual collection to add to is movies, but this month it seems to be books! It started when I found out what book I needed for my spring class -- "Enrique's Journey," about a boy's journey from Honduras to find his mother. It reminded me about one of the books my Language Arts colleagues used at Housel, "A Long Walk to Water," so of course I bought that too! Add to it "Home of the Brave," which falls in the same category, and then "The Book Thief" a movie I've recently watched one of only two I've watched before reading the book. Then I added the "Great Gatsby" which Gabby has recommended I read since we were in high school. Finally, I wanted to read "The Longest Ride" by Nicholas Sparks, one of my favorite "quick read" authors, mostly because the plots are similar and predictable. The other book I found to read is "Still Alice," which Julianne Moore won best actress for tonight at the Golden Globes. I finished "The Longest Ride" today, and now I have to decide on which one to tackle in the next week before class starts. Of course, besides these that I've just acquired, I also have a stack I haven't read yet, including "If I Stay" and its sequel, the other movie I saw before reading the book.
     Because of my strange work hours, I've all but given up on trying to follow TV shows in their "real time." Instead, I watch them mostly on the internet the next day, and sometimes the next week. During this "lull" time though, I've jumped on the Netflix bandwagon and absolutely love it! The only bad part is that I have yet to connect internet to my TV so that I can watch Netflix on it versus my computer or iPad.
     This weekend is the KYG Conference Facilitator training!! I am SO excited to see my KYG friends, and make some new ones :) We have five new CFs, and our two Collegiates who are new to the team this year. Eeek!

No comments:

Post a Comment