Well, it's been another month since I've written. And a crazy month at that may I just mention. Following my last post I turned 24, and on that same day did an interview for a 4-H scholarship then oneheaded to Spokane to celebrate Jessie's college graduation. It was the perfect way to spend my birthday actually, with my parents the night before and friends the night of :)
Now, for the title of this post....I called it another round of lasts because I have resigned from Housel Middle School. This was not an easy decision, and most definitely one of the most difficult I've made yet in my short life. I've decided to move home and work on my Master's (more in a minute), and sub until I can hopefully find a 4-H position somewhere to get an in to the 4-H/Extension world. I've applied for two 4-H positions so far, but no luck from one, and no word yet on even an interview or not from the other. As hard as it is to leave my awesome (and I mean AWESOME) colleagues, who have supported me in every way imaginable, I think this will be a good path for me to follow. I'll begin subbing this fall, putting some funds away for school, and the rest will go toward every day expenses.
This new adventure of course allows me to do more things 4-H related again, which I'm super super excited about! I'm hoping to take a couple of kids to Teen Conference later this month at WSU, and then hopefully some to Rally in the fall. I'm hoping that in the next two years I'll also have the chance to return to National 4-H Conference, but this time as a chaperone :) I'll be able to go to fair, the entire fair, and enjoy it with my pig kids because I'm not a goat superintendent this year.....I can actually go to meetings and not have to leave early to travel. Of course, this is all pending I don't get a 4-H position and am just subbing, haha. I'm excited because it will give me more time to focus on things like KYG and hopefully we'll start up a new leadership group in the county!
My classroom has become incredibly desolate over the last couple of weeks. That's the best adjective I can conjure, desolate. The walls are bare and boring. My students finally began asking questions last week and I told them this Monday. They were not happy at all. I got plenty of "I'm mad at you Ms. George"s, and lots of "why"s. It wasn't easy explaining, but I did my best. There are a few of them who are determined to stay in touch asking, "Will you come to graduation, Ms. George?" "Well, if I know when you graduate, sure, but you're gonna have to remind me." And today I got lots of sweet notes, "You're the best Ms. George." "You made me like math." It's nice to know all the hard work is worth it for those few students who I've inspired.
I don't want you to think I'm not heartbroken about leaving HMS because I'll get to be doing things I love. I am heartbroken because the staff has gotten me through lots of firsts. Setting up my first classroom, setting up my second "first" classroom. Sharing the excitement as my text messages went from green to blue on their phones, and knowing they help me through my spinal tap as we began training this year. Let's face it, pre-autumn and student teaching doesn't really count, so my first staff meeting, my first COLT classes, my first round of student led conferences. My first house break in (with only a week to go I'll add), and giving me so many options for places to stay. There are so many I can't name you all, but I want to thank each and every one of you for the support you've given me. If you read this tonight and are crying, just wait for the note tomorrow to everyone. It'll come right before we load the buses.....I've been typing in Starbucks for the last twenty minutes with my eyes going from watery to fine, but I know Friday isn't going to be easy. I'll need your support one last time as I walk out those doors.
So, here it is. My last blog post from Prosser. My last Monday...Tuesday....Wednesday....Thursday....and Friday at HMS. My last 3rd lunch potluck (which rock, by the way). My last COLT class will be tomorrow. My last Meadowbrook trip (although I'm sure I'll get a text next year to come, haha), and my last assembly. BUT, it's not my last time out to lunch, or girls trip to Starbucks. Because I will be back. Okay, I'm done or I'm going to start crying again.
No comments:
Post a Comment