Sunday, October 20, 2013

Race #4....already?

     I can't believe I'm already through the fourth of my crazy, hectic, all-in-a-row weekends. Another Rally is in the books, and what's special about this one is that it was at the camp where my first Rally was ten years ago. The more Leanne and I talked about it, the more we realized it was the first for many of us that year! Not only that, but we each had many firsts that year too I think....first friends for life, first 4-H road trip, first 4-H adventure (definitely two different things), and first experience with ice breakers.
     Ten years later, things haven't really changed a whole lot for kids, other than technology has entered into their lives. At my first Rally I didn't even have a cell phone, now these kids can't put them down! I turned mine off for a while, making my technology my camera :)
     I met Leanne, Whitney, Brianne and who knows who else at that first Rally. I've continued to stay in touch with them, and I'm so lucky to call them some of my best friends because of all the crazy things we've done in 4-H together. While I talk to them often, see them for snippets of time once every couple of months (if I'm lucky), the only time I truly get to spend time with them is when we're chaperoning things like Rally. This particular Rally I brought a member with me from the tail end of Yakima County who participates in Prosser 4-H, and Leanne brought her niece and one other girl. It made me laugh on the way over as I was talking with Erik because we were talking about the boy to girl ratio and dances. I reminisced a bit and described the many times when us girls would just grab one another and run out to the middle of the dance floor and dance with each other, fast or slow song, it didn't matter. He couldn't understand, and I told him I was sure Leanne and I would demonstrate this weekend....we didn't fail, and indeed did demonstrate the two of us dancing together, what little it may have been. The best story though comes thanks to Leanne's niece, Onnika. There was peach cobbler for dessert, and Leanne went to grab some. I was working on my computer and not too worried about it, but when she returned she had some for me too. Onnika immediately wanted to know how I got some and she didn't. My response was that having best friend status gets you cobbler, which Leanne and I both laughed at.
     To any of my 4-H family near and far, thanks for sticking around! And to some of you, I'll see you in a week!
I was greeted by this face from the younger brother of one of my friends. 

Goal setting activity!

Gorgeous view on our hike up to see the Lenore Caves.


View of Dry Falls.

Leanne and I at Dry Falls. 

Tie dye!

And they said they didn't have any fun.....

The whole group of kids!

And of course we needed a goofy one...or a million!


No comments:

Post a Comment