Sunday, September 29, 2013

Race #1 Down for the Fall Season!

     The first official day of fall was last Saturday, but around here it's been feeling like fall for a few weeks already. This week/end has been the first race of my fall, so let me give you a little view of what it was like to be Rachel the last few days...
     Wednesday I drove home to Thorp so that I could leave for Seattle from there on Thursday morning, which is exactly what I did. I went to my eye specialist for a check up appointment, and it came with good news! The medication that I've been using has been helping!!! My OCT (optical ct) scan from August gave pressure readings of 40-something in my right eye, and 53 in my left. This week's reading was 110 in my right eye ('normal' range), and 139 in my left eye! The doctor was really happy about the improvement so I'm continuing on the medication, and my next appointment is in December :) Then I bummed around Seattle with my friend Jodi after I finally found her college in Kirkland. Our destination that night was City Club's Colleen Willoughby Civic Education awards to receive one recognizing KYG. It was fun to spend some time with Jodi, Jan and Melissa in representing the program there as we were able to spread the word even more about KYG and the program's benefits. Jan and Jodi went onstage to receive the award for us and then talked a little about what we do.


     I was up and at 'em bright and early Friday, pulling out of Seattle by 6 am just in time to miss all of the traffic. I was home before 8, and even managed to survive the day without a nap! Cousin Em can't even do that and she's 6 years younger than me, hehe. I did random things here around the house prepping for Saturday, and unloaded my car, etc. Then I headed for town to do some errands, including a Bi-Mart and Dollar Store run, which are always dangerous. I found my best friend after her day of subbing and we went to Fred Meyer's to buy her some shoes, which of course I really liked too, but without money in my account....we then got some froyo and talked for close to an hour. It was some much needed best friend time and so incredibly fantastic to catch up with her!! 
     Saturday morning was much of a blur, but the important thing is this: we had close family and friends with us to celebrate Grandma Nina's life. Dad definitely needs some work on his public speaking, but if luck prevails he won't need to use it many more times in the future.....other than that it was a great gathering, and we had lots of people there to chat and share stories with. Steve, Ann, Stephanie and Emily stayed later into the afternoon, so between rain showers Em and I took some fantastically colorful senior pictures, because, well, every girl needs some fall shots! They turned out amazing :)






     Saturday wrapped up with a fairly early evening. I set my alarm for bright and early this morning to make the trek to Leavenworth to carry out our first Sparrow presentation and facilitated the NE Rally's community service. We had to be there ready to start at 8:30, so we left with some time to spare. For this rally we were asked to facilitate the community service, and we decided to gather some cards to have the kids write to recovering/injured troops. It worked out really well, and the older kids especially did a great job thinking about what they were writing. The younger kids needed some extra help, but we filled many cards to send, and with the 41 people who participated we now have our first 410 hours to contribute to our Sparrows!
Lindsey and Tyra, our Sparrow team for the day!




    After finishing with Sparrow we ventured around a little. In talking with Bridget on Friday she mentioned an awesome old homestead not too far from the camp. I emailed the owner and she gave us permission to take some senior pictures for Lindsey. This place was amazingly gorgeous, and I'm jealous Bridget has already put dibs on it!! We spent about 45 minutes walking and taking pictures for Linds, and got some fantastic shots :) Because a wedding party was about to come in, we left but stopped at a log jam in the river on our way back to town. It also provided a fantastic backdrop, and I'm gonna have to say my favorite shot comes from there, all thanks to Shannon who spotted it and then insisted on turning around!


A first time for everything!

I really like this one too...


Fav, fav, fav, fav, fav!!



I had to give props to the best friend/prop/photo bombing girl...silly kid!

     Since returning home this afternoon I did laundry, started this post, and then finished organizing and loading the car. I even snuck in a bowl of soup and coffee cake before heading out to the grocery store for yogurt and juice. I finally made it to Prosser, safe and sound for the week. Unfortunately my night is cut short because I'm not sure what my classroom looks like after being gone for two days....should be interesting!

Have a great week!



No comments:

Post a Comment