Wednesday, January 30, 2013

A little bit of 4-H...okay, a lot of 4-H!

     Well, it's been another two long weeks since I've written. To think that last year I was just starting this blog, trying to begin the habit of writing weekly in order to update family and friends while in D.C. for the spring. Insane....crazy....unbelievable...
     Since I last wrote, the 4-H CF training went well. Much better than I thought it would, as I was scared there for a little while about how it would turn out. 48 hours later, I became more than confident that these eight girls chosen to lead the KYG conference were going to do just fine. Whether or not they realize it, they will. The greatest part about the KYG leadership team that I absolutely love is that there's always a safety net. The CFs have the Collegiates, and the Collegiates have the CF/Collegiate Coordinators (that's the technical title for what I do), who in turn have the rest of the Core committee. It's a fantastic system. Haha, the best part is that we all recognized it, there was even a quote at one point in the weekend that was something to the effect of, "We leave them to their own devices?" "That's why you have Clinton...and Clinton has me...." It was a great weekend, and I have no doubt these girls will be incredibly successful in two short weeks when it comes to performance time. So excited to be a part of this year's KYG.
     What else has happened? Ummmm, the county KYG meetings are almost over. We have our last one this next Sunday before the Super Bowl, where we will be at the county courthouse so the kids have the opportunity to do their mock trial in front of one of our superior court judges. I am sooo excited for the kids to have this opportunity, because it only happens once every four years, and these 18 kids participating this year are lucky to be able to do so. I can't stress enough how many opportunities this aspect of the 4-H program offers, and it makes me sad when more kids don't participate. At least someone is getting something out of it....
     A friend shared this picture today on Facebook. I'm sharing it here because I feel it's so incredibly true, and my 4-H experiences and friends have shaped my life.


     Ribbons fade to make great window shades, and trophies great decorations. Money pays for a college degree and first car. The feelings of fame and having a judge hand you that trophy and shake your hand in congratulations never fades from the heart. But what's truly important is the road to get there ~ the seven years of practice in showing, and the ability to make every smile, turn and entrance to the ring count. More than that, the friendships across the state and country that you develop at the young age of 14 which are still alive at the age of 22. More important yet, the way you can depend on someone 300 miles away to back you up when you need them because you came to trust each other in 48 hours when you were 16. Those are the things that never go away. 

     Enough about 4-H and my experiences....my next few weeks are filled completely. Here's the countdown: 3 days til engagement photo shoot and Royal Court coronation (good luck Jessica); 4 days til KYG mock trial #1; 15 days til KYG(!); 21 days until the Prosser History Night; 22 days til the Carrie Underwood/Hunter Hayes concert; and 1 month until I pick up Ethan for his spring break!!
     I'm ready for February, more blue skies and some springier weather :) Hopefully I'll be able to update now and then, in my spare time, ha ha ha. 





No comments:

Post a Comment