Turns out that Kassey's paperwork didn't go through right, so she and I are still waiting for paperwork to go through to take the test. This afternoon we found out that everything was received at the Pearson office, but we can't schedule a test at the DCRA office until Pearson okays our applications. It's a vicious, vicious circle...
Yesterday was emotionally draining, starting at the Holocaust Museum. It's a wonderful museum, but it's hard to imagine someone wanting power that much. That was followed by a rough afternoon of commentary, but today made up for it in the end.
Today was our last day in the van! Yay! I'm excited because even sitting in the middle bucket seats, riding in the car for 4 hours, eating lunch, and then riding in the car for 4 more hours does not agree with my body. I haven't felt good all week long, so tomorrow is a welcome day :) We practiced commentaries for multiple places, including nightview in to the World War II Memorial, debriefing from memorials, FDR memorial (which is my favorite one I think, with all the symbolism and visual aspects), and then drove routes up to the Capitol and the museums on the mall. Following that we had lunch at the Pentagon City Mall, visited the Air Force Memorial, which is pretty cool, and then went by the Pentagon Memorial for the 9/11 victims. Again, these both have lots of symbolism in them, and are stunning to stand in front of. We finished with a run of Embassy Row, and survived it all, coming home via Foxhall. Only problem is that I lost my map in the van at some point, so I'm gonna have to get me another one :/
It's super crazy to think that next Wednesday I will be guiding a group around the city. Nice thing is that we're starting out with a small group, only about 30 kids to a bus, plus chaperones, meeting them at the Newseum (which I secretly hope I get to go through as well!), and then coming back into the city after dinner for a nightview tour. Thursday we're all over town, including maybe waiting for them to go through a Pentagon tour, and then get to be done early because the chaperones lead a workshop for the kids rather than us. Friday we visit FDR and MLK, and then send the group on their way home! It'll be an exciting and interesting week :)
Just thought about it, but if anyone is interested in sending care packages (haha), the address for me here at the Center is 7100 Connecticut Ave, Chevy Chase MD 20815...
Here's some pics for the week:
Our contribution to Family Dinner on Sunday....fruit pie :)
Studying and a look of home before going to bed each night....I've since moved the quadrants/addresses, and replaced it with quotes :)
Air Force Memorial quote on the wall outside: "A soldier can walk the battlefields where he once fought; a marine can walk the beaches he once stormed; but an airman can never visit the patch of sky he raced across on a mission to defend freedom. And so it's fitting that the men and women of the air force have this memorial, a place here on the ground that recognizes their achievements and sacrifices in the skies above." ~ President George W. Bush
Such powerful words, especially seeing them for the first time...


No comments:
Post a Comment