Sunday, June 17, 2018

Shout out to moms and dads!

I've been galavanting all over the country this spring and haven't had a chance to write about it (this is the first day I've been able to sleep in - which didn't actually happen - for a long time!). However, before I take the time to write about my adventures, I wanted to give a shout out to moms and dads out there!

I've just spent a couple of weeks invading my parents' house again for the third time since they thought they'd gotten rid of me over six years ago (little did they know!). This time, just as the others, was due to unforeseen circumstances, and we managed okay because I was gone for a lot of the time ;) But in all reality, it's difficult as an adult child to come back home and live after being on your own for a number of years -- am I right?? Parents have their way of doing things after becoming empty nesters, i.e., chips, salsa and beer for dinner a few times a month, and going to bed at 9pm. Meanwhile adult kids (at least this one) can withstand being up a little bit later than 9pm and need more substance than just chips and salsa....

THEN there are the parents who live their adult children. While I can't speak to this scenario specifically, I have no doubt there are kinks to be worked out in this situation too. Babysitting, caregiving, meal prepping, I can imagine the list goes on.

THEN there are the single parents out there, making decisions on their own or in tandem with someone who doesn't live with them. Again, I have no experience but I have no doubt it's difficult and not without it's challenges.

There are countless familial scenarios involving parents, so I just wanted to give a general shout out to parents out there who are doing what they can for their families. Some days I know it's just a fight to "survive" the day.

And, because they hate it, here's a shout out to my mom and dad for making so many things in my life possible. Couldn't do it without you! *Pictures are from two family weddings this spring. More on those to come soon!






No comments:

Post a Comment