Monday, April 30, 2018

Goodbye Spring, Hello Almost Summer

So, I have been extremely negligent of writing about life lately....and for that I am sorry! I'll do my best here to recount all the busyness of the spring.

February....

  • Shining Star Pageant! I had the awesome opportunity to volunteer for this wonderful little pageant again this year. It is so much fun so put smiles on the faces of these young girls. They don't often have a reason to dress up, so they love putting on adorable outfits and getting up on stage. So cute!
  • Cattlemen's Annual Banquet - I was roped into helping again this year (thanks, Dad) only at a higher capacity this time. It turned out to be a great evening with lots of funds raised for scholarships. 
  • Student Interns! We started our student intern program during Winter Quarter, and I absolutely love having them around. The amount of energy they have is incredible. We hired four interns for Winter, a couple working with robotics, another with Kid Wind (all at elementary schools), and the last with Math Circles on campus. 
  • Spinning lessons - One of the local 4-H clubs found out I know how to spin (wool), so they asked me to teach their members to spin. We had a great morning learning from each other, and hopefully they'll have some new projects to enter in fair. 
  • Paint and sips - If you haven't done one of these events locally, I encourage you to try one! They're so fun. My friend Cori introduced me to them, and I am officially hooked. The lady who does them here even offered a pig painting class a few weeks ago, so I was definitely there :)
  • Mom started physical therapy! Her surgery in January was successful according to the doctor, and she was finally cleared to start PT about a month later. Prognosis has been good.
March....
  • Neuropthamologist appointment - I went back to the eye specialist in mid-March, and I've been doing so well with my weight loss that I received approval to halve my medicine. YAY!! It'll be five years since receiving my diagnosis this August, so being able to take this step is huge. 
  • Bachelorette party! My cousin Stephanie is getting married this summer, so we had to celebrate one last time. She gathered a whole crew of her friends and we made the trek to a house in Idaho near Sandpoint. We had a great weekend of laughs and fun :)
  • Alpaca Farm Sitting - My longtime knitting mentor connected me with the owner of an alpaca farm who needed a farm sitter. I finally mastered all of the chores by the time I was finished for the week....
  • I BOUGHT A CAR!! For the last few years I've wanted some kind of SUV crossover style of car. When Mom and Dad bought their new car a few months ago it made me want one even more. Mom and I happened to take their car to the dealership for some maintenance and found this amazing deal on the lot. I had Dad down there to look at it before the weekend was over and signed the dotted line to put myself in debt :)
  • Our program hosted 600 middle school students over the course of three days...the first three days of Spring Quarter no less....we managed to pull it off but not without a TON of teamwork. 
April....
  • Lots and lots of photo shoots! I'm behind on editing by about four photo shoots, but I'm hoping to get caught up this week while I'm house sitting. 
  • UTeach came to visit - UTeach is the "parent" to our program, and they come twice a year to do an evaluation. Luckily, I didn't have to do much with it other than arrange a meeting with students. 
  • Wedding in Vancouver - One of my former coworker's daughters got married in Vancouver, and she asked me to take wedding photos for her. It gave me an excuse to visit everyone, and take some photos of course!
  • Branding - My trip to Vancouver was very quick, as branding was scheduled for the same weekend....and if there's one thing we always say, it's that branding is the social event of the year so you better believe I wasn't going to miss it!
  • 4-H Advisory Board - A trip to Spokane was made for a 4-H meeting. Luckily I had a friend who rode with me, and we even got to see Aunt Mary for a little bit. It was a productive meeting, so the next time we meet is in October at the Leaders Forum.
  • Career Fairs - Two of the local schools hosted career fairs, and I was fortunate enough to attend. It was fun to interact with all of the students. 
  • Walking Challenge - The university is facilitating a walking challenge for the spring, and a group of us all located within the same building are on a team. We report our total steps converted to miles each week. 
  • Teach STEM Club - Organized by our students, we have a program related club. They even ambitiously hosted a STEM on the Lawn event where they had STEM related activities and invited the community youth to come and enjoy things. 
  • Wedding Decor Making - To wrap up the month of April I got started on some of Steph's wedding decor that I volunteered to create. The last of it will get finished in the next couple of weeks before things get super crazy!

So, there's an update for you. May is going to be super busy, so if you're lucky I'll make sure to update as things go along. After all, three trips in the last couple weeks of May and a wedding to boot deserve their own posts...



No comments:

Post a Comment