It's been a while since I've written, and since I use my blog as an outlet, I have something to get off my chest really quick -- without going into too many details of course, so hang in there with me.
I've made lots of friends throughout the years -- some I've stayed closer with than others, and some I've "lost" and then made again. It's those true friends though who are willing to stick with you through thick and thin who are worth their weight in gold. As the old song goes "Make new friends, but keep the old. One is silver and the other gold." (Right, that's how it goes?!?) I've been fortunate to make friends wherever I go for 4-H and work, and it's those close friends who are helping me tonight (no matter how recent the friendship).
Recently I've run across a situation which truly tests my inner strength, my ability to overlook and move on, to forgive although likely not forget. It's testing my communication skills, my emotions, and my heart (no, much to your disappointment this is not about a boy <insert tongue out face here>). How do people do this all the time?? There are people out there who chronically go about loving and dumping other people, and I have no clue how they can stand to do it. I'm on the dumped end of a friendship right now and it hurts, so. incredibly. bad. Mostly because there isn't anything I can do about it other than try and talk with this person, but their actions are speaking louder than their few words right now.
I guess the gist of my post is this: cherish your friends, whether you're incredibly close or not. I've seen way too many friendships be ruined because of one little thing, but neither party knows what that one thing is....be honest with each other even if it's going to hurt one of you, because it's likely you're both going to be hurt but at least you'll have been honest with each other.
This is a tough place for me to be right now because I'm a "giver." I love helping, I love being a part of people's lives however I can. So now I'm questioning why I should be a part of people's lives as much as I attempt to be? And then I'm reminded of the many youth who have taught me about living, I am reminded of my friends' kids who I get to cheer on, and/or take pictures of. I am reminded each month why I volunteer for 4-H, and it's because I CAN make a difference in the lives of youth -- as a mentor now, and if I'm fortunate, as a friend later.
I am reminded as I think about the almost 100 students I'll soon be mentoring and guiding through their education, because yes, celebrating with them matters too. I am reminded when a friend tells me to call her, or another invites herself to dinner (which I don't mind at all!) knowing she's likely going to have to clear herself a seat in my mess of a house.
I am reminded that I don't NEED everyone's approval of how I act or what I say. I never have and I've gotten along just fine thus far. Gist #2? Be yourself, and don't change because someone doesn't like something about you.
And with that, I say goodnight. It's way later than I should be up, especially since I am traveling the next couple of days for work. I promise a full life update soon!


No comments:
Post a Comment