Sunday, October 12, 2014

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, if you say it loud enough.....

Movies....they've become a huge aspect of our lives. I can't tell you how or why, you'll have to look that up on your own time. But as I was sitting down the other night to work on homework, I was trying to decide which movie to put in. To get any work done, it had to be a favorite so if I wasn't actually watching, that was okay. And if I needed to, I could just recite the dialogue, or sing along to the songs. Who needs to actually watch the acting on screen of your favorites, right? 


That being said, I'm interested to know some of your favorites....the ones you can watch over and over again and it doesn't bother you that you watched it last week. Or the ones you can recite and don't need the sound on for....you'll notice a pretty decent theme in mine, my mama and daddy raised me right ;) 


In no particular order:  


Meet Me in St. Louis (Wednesday night's selection) ~ Judy Garland. Musical. Enough said. But really, I think even Ethan watched this one with me... 


Seven Brides for Seven Brothers ~ By far a Howard Keel favorite, and yes, Ethan definitely watched this one with me!  


Mary Poppins (Saturday) ~ Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke creating magic onscreen....literally and figuratively. A good sing-along and favorite for after surgery. 


Sound of Music (Friday night) ~ A classic brought to life by Julie Andrews again, where can you go wrong? Another sing-along and after surgery fav.  


Hello Dolly (Saturday night) ~ Barbara Streisand, hellooooo!! Another fav, you will definitely catch me singing along! 


Singing in the Rain ~ Make em laugh! With Gene Kelly and Donald O'Connor, how can this movie not make you feel better?!?



Oklahoma! ~ A musical set in the land of tall corn, well, according to this movie any way....

White Christmas/Holiday Inn ~ White Christmas will always be my favorite, but I loved finding out where the idea for it came from! Bonus, Bing Crosby is in both :)



Love Comes Softly series ~ I fell in love with the books in middle school, so of course I love the movies.  


Pride and Prejudice ~ Although I have the six hour version, I tend to frequently watch the most recent Kiera Knightly version. As a childhood favorite book, the first thing I wanted to do that Christmas break it was released was to go see it in the theater. 


Northanger Abbey ~ This is one I didn't really watch until just a few years ago. I got it in a pack of four classics from BBC or PBS or something, and it's actually the only one of the four I watch. One of my go-to less than 1.5 hour movies, I need to read the book still, but it's on my iPad which is step #1! 


The Inheritance ~ Another classic I love to just throw in, and now don't need to watch it. Definitely a feel good movie for me (which of these isn't though).



Sweet Home Alabama ~ There's something about this "right guy wrong time" movie that I love!



Anne of Green Gables ~ It's a long one, especially if you marathon both originals and/or add the third one. But, Anne and Gil's story is classic to me, especially as I first watched it on VHS (2 tapes with an intermission), and then finally got it on DVD last year when I couldn't spare the room in my movie storage.



McLintock! ~ Yep, had to throw in a western or two for my dad. He might die knowing I hadn't listed one....this is one of our family favs :)



Rio Bravo ~ John Wayne, Ricky Nelson, Dean Martin and Walter Brennan...enough shooting to satisfy Dad and Ethan, and some singing for me. 



Fort Apache ~ Shirley Temple had a successful acting career as a child, but didn't last long as an adult actress. It took me years of watching this to finally realize it was her! Now it is by far one of my favorite John Wayne's :)



And lastly, *almost* any early original animated Disney ~ We're talking Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella, The Jungle Book, Lion King, Peter Pan, Little Mermaid...we can add in a few newer ones too, Frozen (of course!), Brave, Tangled, Princess and the Frog. You're beginning to understand I think. Best part is that these are usually an hour and a half or less, so make super good time fillers! 


Somehow I managed to watch quite a few favorites this week/end, as I'm just finishing Beauty and the Beast in time for Once Upon a Time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment