Thursday, September 18, 2014

A wedding for the books!

     I'm avoiding homework by writing a blog :) I'll be mad at myself tomorrow....

    About four years ago there was this boy, who decided he liked this girl. They were both my friends. Their story became one this past weekend, and one of our friends from 4-H was asked to preside over the ceremony. She in turn asked me for some thoughts about how Jess and Alex encompass the four H's: head, heart, hands and health. Little did I know she would include a portion of what I sent her word for word! I was standing up there with the rest of the bridesmaids, crying and laughing, when all of a sudden I realized that Marianne was saying exactly what I had written. Well, it threw me off, that's for certain. Not realizing this prior to the ceremony, I actually amended things a bit with a message to Jess and Alex and printed it for them. All in all, it was a gorgeous day, and I am so honored to have been a part of it. Congrats Jess and Alex!!

     Here is what I sent Marianne:

"Alex and Jess…..are…….perfect for each other!

I’ve known both Alex and Jess since we were in middle school, and I consider them some of my best friends. Knowing them each separately before they began spending time with each other and were a couple gives me a unique perspective I suppose. They truly are made for each other though, and I never would have guessed it all those years ago. I’m not sure they actually realize it, but they were both at teen rallies when they were younger, before they met at CF training.

Jess and I became friends instantly. I can’t even tell you when we actually met, but I know we were both the first County Teen Reps for our counties. It was probably at our first training, where we tended to split into east and west side groups. Anyhow, we’ve been 4-H sisters ever since. I can always count on her to listen, to give me advice, to be there when I need her – just like I hope she knows I will always be.

Alex, oh Alex. He’s one of those kids I had to pull out of the shadows to get involved, but there’s no stopping him now! Well, except to get him on the dance floor….Alex asked this summer why I “made” him be a CF. And my answer began with the fact that we were friends, because by that time in our friendship, I knew I could count on him. He introduced one of my nicknames to the entire state, who wouldn’t want to hurt the bugger after that? But I just couldn’t, he’s too essential to so many memories.

From that weekend of CF training on, I knew these two would be in it for the long haul. Overlooking the fact that I got text messages for a couple of weeks following from both Alex and Jess, it really didn’t take much, or long, for the two of them to become a couple. I love both Alex and Jess like they are my siblings, but let’s be honest and admit that Jess is more sister than Alex is brother. It was the weekend of KYG when I made my “threat” to hurt Alex if he ever hurt Jessie. Threat still stands….

How else does 4-H apply to Jess and Alex? Aside from being where they met? I think they truly embrace the 4 H’s of head, heart, hands and health, as well as the 4-H Essential Elements – belonging, mastery, independence and generosity. It’s hard to explain how these two embrace these things…they just do!

Head: Alex and Jess use their heads every day. To make decisions, to choose to love each other and their friends and family, and in essence to shape who they have become. Of course, this all comes from their hearts as well, but their heads keep them on a clear path of where they need to be, where they need to go. You can see this in how hard they have worked in school and worked to make their relationship work long distance.

Heart: You cannot find more love and affection in any two hearts that I know when compared to Jess and Alex. For each other, their family, friends….when someone is in need, they are there if you need them. There have been countless times when I text with a question, or we’re talking on the phone, or in person, and they know exactly what to say to make things better, to show they understand. These two also take incredible care of each other, always watching out for one another.

Hands: Jess and Alex are always helping, they’re selfless souls. Enough said! But really, you can always find them helping someone out. It could be a stranger, and they would still help.

Health: Again, these two always keep an eye on each other. Between them, Jess and Alex have made more trips to the hospital than any one I know! They scare the crap out of me, and I’m sure everyone, when they post something on Facebook, which is why I think they’ve finally stopped doing that (smart kids). The important thing is, they take care of each other.

I guess the biggest thing for me about Jess and Alex, why they should be together, is because they complement each other so well. They finish each other’s thoughts and sentences, they can read each other’s minds. Most importantly, they love each other.

I am just SO super excited this day has finally come, and is under the 20-day mark! Could not be more honored to be a part of their big day!"

     My role in the big day was a bridesmaid, so I didn't pick up my camera often, but I was able to get a few shots. No official pictures from the photographer yet, but I can't wait to see them!










No comments:

Post a Comment