Sunday, August 3, 2014

New home

     My boss and I are too much alike. That's the conclusion I've reached....in some ways, it's good. We've already decided to join the knitter's guild together, and we get to celebrate our birthdays in the same month, and we both love making sure youth have a positive 4-H experience. BUT, we also both like to jump right into the middle of things and do things ourselves rather than wait for other people to get them done. We already are talking about things for next year's fair that will have to be fixed, and events to do in between to help promote 4-H and cohesiveness throughout the existing 4-H program.
     Just like in teaching I find myself comparing things to home, which is expected I suppose, but I have to keep reminding myself that there isn't just one right way. There isn't one way to handle record books, there isn't one way to handle an educational booth. It's hard, but in the two plus days I've been at the fair I've gained some understanding of how things work in Clark County 4-H compared to how they work at home.
     Enough about work....how about some adventures?!? After moving I spent that weekend getting settled in and doing some homework. My big presentation deadline was moved to July 23rd (thank goodness!), so I spent about 20 hours that next week after work at Starbucks borrowing internet. I finished my presentation, only to get a message on Thursday that it wouldn't work, and could I fix it? Well sure, so I left work and had to recreate from scratch, but thankfully I had all of the pieces and didn't need to spend hours re-recording my voice over information. Then, come to find out, I left out a huge piece of information, so I had to make sure and include that this week in my facilitation of discussion. Next up, my big paper for my second class, which is this afternoon's big project to tackle while I'm at fair before the Lonestar concert!! :)
     Last weekend I went up to Olympia to see cousin Steph, since that's where she's been interning all summer. We met up with Kai and walked around downtown Olympia a bit before we all headed home. We did though, happen upon a 104-year-old tug boat, the only one left on the Sound.

Steph, Kai and me

     Then on Sunday after accomplishing some homework I went to the Cowlitz County Fair, camera in hand of course! Fairs across the state are so different and diverse that I'm never quite sure what to expect. Around home they're small county fairs with lots of livestock. Over here, well, not so much. A whole building dedicated to flowers? Yep. Food booths inside, and 4-H projects tucked way in the back? Yep. Weird? Yep....and why did I go on Sunday rather than Saturday? Well to do what any friend does, to support a friend in life's endeavors of course! My friend Ben performed so I went for support and to take some pictures too. 

Seriously, a building filled with plants...

For my Prosser friends who love Disney so.

Mini Herefords!

Ben singing his heart out.


No comments:

Post a Comment