Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Utah and Relay For Life!

Leg 6 of Summer: Utah!
     Back in 2009 I was a delegate at one of my favorite 4-H conferences, National 4-H Conference, held in D.C. Little did the six of us attending from Washington realize the friendships we were to make that week. Our delegation had the right numbers to combine with the Utah delegation to share rooms. By the end of the conference every other delegation referred to us as "Utashington," and it stuck. Just over two years ago some of the Utah delegates came to visit us here in Washington, and now upon the return of one of those delegates, Lindsey and I traveled down for a weekend visit. It was short by all means, but we had a great time making the trek down and back.

We were really close to Salt Lake. 

Firefighting Museum


Me, Kam and Linsdey

A buffalo super close to the lake. 



Sunset

Twin Falls




Leg 7: Relay for Life!
     Each year our 4-H club participates in the Relay for Life. While the majority of our funds come from two activities each year, we always make sure to show up for the big sha-bang. I don't stay all night because I know I could never last the next day without being grouchy. It's fun every year to watch the kids show their support, and my favorite part is when the field lights go down, and the luminaries are lit. The best part though, is watching 'hope' turn to 'cure' in the stands. Never fails to put tears in my eyes, particularly for those we have lost and those we are fighting for. 
*Note: All pictures were taken by a 4-H member. 



Showing off this year's pink shirts!




Leg 8: GLAD training part 2
     A couple of weeks ago I had the 'two-day' part of this training where we flew (literally, not figuratively) through the history and research of GLAD approved strategies. This week over four days we are seeing the strategies put into play with the Washington State History summer school students. It's been interesting to see things work, but half of the time I am puzzled with how to work these strategies into my math classroom. I've figured out a couple, but for this next year I think I'm going to work more to solidify my own strategies, then perhaps I will add some new things in my third year. There is one activity I'm going to try, but other than that I need to go through my book and mark which ones to try first, then next summer I can make a more solid plan, haha. 

Next up? Pig arena clean-up, followed by a pig rodeo, then prepping for California and DC!! It's gonna be a busy next two weeks. And that's about all I can take, two weeks at a time. 




No comments:

Post a Comment