Sunday, April 29, 2012

Another week down...another week (or four) to go...

          Well, I survived a sickly week of time spent mostly in the office. I was able to get out and about a couple of times during nightview. The first nightview was for Science Bowl. There are about 800 kids and chaperones here on campus, taking over the Cafe during meals and the conference rooms the rest of the time. My second nightview was for a leadership group from Chicago. It was cold out, and didn't help my cold in any way, but I made it through. I decided to take Wilbur with me on my second nightview, so he got his picture taken everywhere we went. Some of them didn't turn out because it was too dark, so I'm taking him with me again next week when I have a dayview.
         Today is all about resting and relaxing, and getting some basic clean-up/packing done. Two weeks from now it won't just be my roommate, it'll be roommates. That's when the CWF PA's get here, and so Megan and Amber will be moving into mine and Kassey's room for the rest of our time here. I've been sending boxes home all along since about mid-March, but I have yet to return my giant box home full of stuff. I'm hoping to get a lot of the little stuff that won't matter for the last few weeks into that box and will send it home in about two weeks when the girls move in.
          Here are pics from my nightview adventure with Wilbur. A nightview generally includes a drive down Connecticut-17th to the WWII Memorial, Vietnam War Memorial, Lincoln Memorial and the Korean War Memorial, then over to the Jefferson Memorial. This particular nightview required me meeting the group at WWII so I had to metro downtown and went for a walk passed the USDA buildings and the Monument. We also visited the MLK Memorial.

The Washington Monument and the USDA building in the foreground. 

Wilbur and the Wilson Memorial Arch between the USDA buildings. Wilson is credited with helping to give 4-H its start. 

Washington Monument with the flags and the sun...ugh, I really wanted my good camera at this point it was crazy. 

Wilbur and the Monument. 

Washington Monument "microchipped" flags ;) The running PA joke is that the flags are microchipped to all blow the same way....I just like this picture because you see the flags and then their shadows on the Monument as well. 

Wilbur at the base of a flag at the WWII Memorial. 

Wilbur at the WWII Memorial with the Lincoln way back there in the sunshine. 

Wilbur and Captain John Paul Jones. Captain Jones was an immigrant from Scotland, and helped fight in the Revolutionary War on the flagship of the Navy's first fleet. 

Wilbur with the Jefferson Memorial in the background. We did actually go there, but it was too dark by that time to see Jefferson and Wilbur, so we'll try again on Friday. 

Quote at the WWII Memorial. 

WWI Memorial fountain with the Lincoln Memorial in the background. 

Wilbur at the Vietnam Wall. 

Wilbur sitting where MLK stood to give his "I Have a Dream" speech

Wilbur at the Korean War Memorial. It's my favorite war memorial for whatever reason. I think seeing it in the daylight is much better than at night because you can actually see the etching of the mountains from across the wall, and the faces when you're close to the wall, along with the reflections in the wall. 

Wilbur at the MLK Memorial. 

My nightview group at the MLK Memorial. 

          The countdown has officially begun with only 33 days left until I see my family again!! Best part is that Miss Lauren is coming to see me at the end of the month! (: Here's to another week in the office, with another nightview on Wednesday and a dayview on Friday......


1 comment:

  1. You're too kind!! Today, I actually reread all my blogs from my time as a PA and it made me miss DC something fierce! Can't wait to see you and the great city soon!

    ReplyDelete