Sunday, December 26, 2021

202….1? Oops, I did it again….

Merry Christmas!

Well, would you look at that — it’s time for a year end blog already and I haven’t written anything since the last year end review. Oops! That’s definitely my bad. For whatever reason I just didn’t feel like sitting down for an update I guess. 

Let’s just go semi-chronologically, shall we? Things got grouped as I started typing, too. Since we’ve last chatted here’s a look at what’s been happening….

House things: 

  • Trim is done! In January when I wrote about 2020 we weren’t quite done. I’m happy to report that on February 8, 2021 we put in the last piece of window sill to finish things off! At that point, well, I definitely didn’t want to look at barn wood for a while….

The most warped piece of trim we put up!
  • The Easter Bunny brought me blinds for the downstairs windows! We got some blackout blinds on a great sale and figured out a couple of tricks to get them up. Dad wins again by listening to talk radio.
  • In April and May we tackled the back bathroom and entry, which hadn’t been touched since the 1975 remodel (that's a lie, some walls had been painted). Ace once again came to my rescue for painting, and helped me get it done. The walls are one color and the trim another, both which I love and may use other places (upstairs bathroom, I’m comin’ for ya!). 

  • Part of this included pulling down a cabinet, and painting the shelves and everything. There was some leftover floor/porch paint that had been left behind, a dark gray, and it’s been perfect as an accent color in the back. Shelving units of all sorts have been painted, including the one from the wall. Dad cut it down for me to fit between the counter and the window, and with some concrete bench legs, it’s a perfect shelf unit! 
  • Another part of this back entry and bathroom project was the flooooooorrrrrrrrrrrr…..it’s concrete out there and had lots of wear and tear just from years of love 😅 There was also a patch of leftover 50s linoleum in the back bathroom. Now, I’m not sure what kind of glue they used on floors back in the day, but what we thought would be a cinch to remove from the floor was, well, not. In the end Dad brought the trusty air gun with a chisel point on it over with the mobile air compressor and chiseled that stuff off piece by piece. It was a mess, and there were holes to patch (from before and after chiseling)…..did you know there’s cement patch just like for walls?? Better believe I used it.

  • THEN, after all that floor prep, I put three coats of floor paint down! I got a gray that is as close to the floor as I could get, and honestly, I love it. Again, a porch/floor paint, and my friend Katrina who was still at Sherwin Williams helped me get the right stuff. Highly recommend painting floors if it’s an option….way easier than painting walls or ceilings (my least favorite). I cut in twice around the trim, then rolled the middle three times. I only got the trim a couple of times while rolling, and I didn’t even notice it right away.
  • The door was an awful red (sorry KB), so it got a paint job too with the trim color. There was a need for new trim and light switch, so that all got fixed and changed too. At this point, the house was really looking good and I didn’t do much….
  • Until this month! Mom found some lights in a Costco book we thought would work for several places. Sure enough, they did so there are new lights in the back entry, kitchen, main bath, laundry room, and the front office. The back bathroom light took some finagling but Dad had a plan, so got switched out this weekend. Then we found a couple of smaller lights to go above the kitchen sink and in the downstairs hall. What a difference! I can actually see while doing laundry 😂 
At this point, I think house projects will be done for 2021!

Stay tuned for Part 2 since this is already long…..

No comments:

Post a Comment